Statoil and ExxonMobil have announced a fifth gas discovery offshore Tanzania in Block 2.

The discovery of between 2-3 trillion cubic feet of gas in place in the Mronge-1 well.

The firms said that the discovery brings total in-place volumes in Block 2 to between 17 and 20 Tcf. Mronge-1 was drilled by the Discoverer Americas drillship.

The site is located some 13 miles north of the Zafarani discovery and is at 8,200 feet. The Zafarani-1 well was drilled in 2012 and was a play opener for the block, Statoil said.

The secondary accumulation was encountered in a separate, younger gas-bearing reservoir in a play that previously had not been tested in Block 2.

Statoil operates the license on Block 2 with a 65 percent working interest with ExxonMobil holding the remaining 35 percent.


Leave a Reply