Anish Kapadia of Tudor, Pickering & Holt monitored 400 exploration wells drilled in 2013.
He estimates that 20 billion barrels of conventional oil (and equivalent natural gas) were discovered last year.
His list of the biggest discoveries is below, with estimated reserve amounts in BOE, or barrels of oil plus the energy equivalent in natural gas.
1. Agulha/Coral gas discoveries offshore Mozambique by Eni — 700 million BOE each
2. Lontra discovery in Angola by Cobalt International Energy CIE -0.12% – 900 million BOE
3. B14/B17 gas discoveries in Malaysia by Newfield Exploration NFX +3.71% – 850 million BOE
4. Ogo discovery in Nigeria by Afren / Lekoil — 775 million BOE
5. Nene Marine discovery in Congo Brazzaville by Eni — 700 million BOE
6. Tangawizi gas discovery offshore Tanzania by Statoil STO +3.52% – 575 million BOE
7. Coronado oil discovery in U.S. Gulf of Mexico by Chevron CVX -1.85% – 550 million BOE
8. Salamat gas discovery in Egypt’s East Nile Delta by BP – 500 million BOE
9. Maximino oil discovery in Gulf of Mexico by Pemex – 500 million BOE.
10. Bay du Nord discovery offshore eastern Canada by Statoil and Husky — 450 million BOE