A Saudi in Guantanamo has been charged for bombing a Petronas-chartered oil tanker in 2002 in Yemen that killed a crewman, the Pentagon said.
Ahmed Mohammed Ahmed Haza Al Darbi, 39, appeared before a military tribunal at the US prison in Cuba that holds international terror suspects.
Al Darbi was charged with “planning, abetting and supporting the commission of the attack against the ship MV Limburg in the port of Aden,” AFP said.
The attack killed a Bulgarian crew member and wounded 12 others.
Al Darbi was captured in June 2002 and transferred to Guantanamo, “months before the attack against the Limburg on October 6, 2002 according to military documents published by WikiLeaks,” the report said.
The Limburg, now known as the Maritime Jewel, is a double hull oil tanker built in 2000. It is 1,089 ft long and its width is 190 ft.
On October 6, 2002, the Limburg was carrying 397,000 barrels of crude oil from Iran to Malaysia and was in the Gulf of Aden off Yemen to pick up another load of oil. It was registered under a French-flag and had been chartered by Malaysia’s Petronas.
A dinghy carrying explosives rammed the starboard side of the tanker and detonated.
The Limburg caught fire and about 90,000 barrels of oil leaked into the Gulf of Aden.
The explosion killed a 38 year-old Bulgarian named Atanas Atanasov.
If Al Darbi pleads guilty, he will be eligible for a reduced sentence, the Pentagon said.
The mastermind of the attack was another Saudi, Abd al-Rahim Al-Nashiri, according to US sources. He faces the death penalty.
Al-Nashiri’s trial is scheduled to begin in September 2014.
He’s also charged in connection with the attack in 2000 against the American navy ship USS Cole in Yemen that killed 17 sailors.
Only seven Guantanamo inmates have ever been convicted of crimes.
The prison has held a total of 779 men since it opened in 2002, APF said.