Rental costs in Williston, North Dakota — at the center of the Bakken shale boom — are higher than those in New York or Los Angeles.
Apartment Guide, an online website for apartment hunters, said Williston has the highest rental costs in the nation.
A 700 square-foot, one bedroom apartment in Williston rents for an average of $2,394 a month.
Dickinson, North Dakota ranks fourth at an average of $1,733 a month.
Boston is sixth, New York is seventh, and Los Angeles is eighth.
The 10 highest U.S. rents for a one-bedroom apartment are:
- Williston, N.D. ($2,394)
- San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif. ($1,881)
- San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, Calif. ($1,776)
- Dickinson, N.D. ($1,733)
- Key West, Fla. ($1,640)
- Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, Mass.-N.H. ($1,537)
- New York,-Northern New Jersery-Long Island, N.Y.-N.J.-Penn. ($1,504)
- Los Angeles-Long-Beach-Santa Ana, Calif. ($1,411)
- Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, Calif. ($1,387)
- Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-Goleta, Calif. ($1,346)
Info via Apartment Guide