The Florida Department of Environmental Protection has joined a multi-state federal lawsuit currently pending in the Eastern District of Louisiana involving the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, the Tampa Bay Times reported Wednesday.
The suit names BP, Anadarko and Transocean as defendants.
It claims they are responsible for environmental harm caused by the oil spill.
Florida Gov. Rick Scott the state to join the suit.
The case Florida filed Wednesday is separate from the suit filed last year by the Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, which deals with economic losses Florida suffered as a result of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
“Wednesday’s filing seeks to hold the named defendants accountable for injuries to the environment the state suffered as a result of the oil spill,” the Tampa Bay Times said.
The April 2010 platform explosion and fire killed 11 workers on BP’s Deepwater Horizon rig in the Gulf of Mexico and caused the biggest offshore oil spill in U.S. history.
“Today’s action is another step in our efforts to hold the parties related to the oil spill accountable for the environmental harm caused by the Deepwater Horizon tragedy,” Gov. Scott said in a statement.
“Our main priority is to help the families of Florida’s Panhandle recover, and we will continue our work to ensure that this goal is reached,” he said.