Royal Dutch Shell has given up plans for gas exploration in Qatar’s Block D after failing to discover commercially viable resources, two sources said on Friday.

Earlier on Friday, Shell said it had wrapped up activity at the well after the negative result.

The company said it remained committed to future plans in Qatar.

Part of Block D extends beneath Qatar’s North Field, the world’s biggest gas field.

Qatar is currently the world’s top LNG exporter.

“Shell only pulled out of that section of the North Field (that overlaps with Block D), and they will continue to work on other (Qatari) projects,” a Qatar Petroleum source said.

Shell said its Block-D exploratory well “reached total depth as planned; however, it did not encounter commercial volumes of hydrocarbons.”

Shell holds 75 percent of the QSD-1 project, PetroChina holds the remaining 25 percent.


Leave a Reply