SHARE
Fire at the Deepwater Horizon rig. Image courtesy of United States Coast Guard/Wikimedia Commons.

A Louisiana federal grand jury issued a new indictment Friday against former BP executive David Rainey for obstructing a congressional investigation into the 2010 Deepwater Horizon explosion and spill.

The new indictment adjusts charges of obstructing a congressional investigation and making false statements that were previously issued, the AP said.

The indictment follows a round of appeals about whether Rainey could be tried on charges of obstruction.

A panel of three judges from the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans reversed the ruling and said Rainey could face charges for withholding information from a Congressional subcommittee..

The blowout of BP’s Macondo well off the coast of Louisiana killed 11 workers and caused one of the largest oil spills in U.S. history.

Prosecutors allege Rainey withheld information about the estimated flow rate from the damaged Macondo well during a May 4, 2010 Congressional hearing.

Rainey gave false information to a Congressional subcommittee chairman, according to prosecutors.

Rainey has pleaded not guilty. His trial is set to start on March 9, 2015.

On September 4, BP was found guilty of gross negligence and willful misconduct in the Deepwater Horizon accident by a federal court.

BP could face penalties of up to $18 billion.

BP said it “strongly disagrees” with the gross-negligence ruling and said it will appeal because the ruling is “not supported by the evidence at trial.”

BP has set aside $3.5 billion for the penalties.