Image courtesy of Repsol.

Spain’s Repsol made a new “high quality” oil discovery of high quality oil in the U.S Gulf of Mexico Tuesday.

The find was made 218 miles from the Louisiana coast in an ultradeep water well named León, located in the Keathley Canyon 642 block.

The well encountered over 150 meters of net oil pay within a column of over 400 meters.

León was drilled in water depths of 6,118 feet and reached a total depth of 31,771 feet, making it one of the deepest wells operated by the company.

Repsol has a 60 percent operator stake in the license and Colombia’s Ecopetrol holds the remaining 40 percent.

Repsol holds stakes in 119 U.S. Gulf of Mexico blocks including a share in the Shenzi field that currently has 16 wells in production connected to two platforms.


Leave a Reply