SHARE
Image courtesy of FutureTrillionaire/Wikimedia Commons.

Saudi Arabian officials are on alert after receiving threats this weekend about possible terrorist attack against state owned energy projects or shopping malls.

Saudi Interior Ministry spokesman Mansour Turki told Reuters Monday that government officials have received information about a possible militant attack against facilities owned by Saudi Aramco or shopping malls.

“There was information about a possible act targeting a mall or Aramco installations. We passed this information to the security forces to be on alert,” he said.

No further details about the threat or who issued them has been disclosed.

Security at potential targets has been ramped up with authorities reportedly barring single men from entering a shopping mall in central Riyadh on Saturday, Reuters said.

“Saudi Arabia is targeted by terrorism. Usually in such situations (conflicts), there are attempts by terrorist groups to take advantage and carry out attacks,” Turki added.

In 2006 four al Qaeda militants broke into Saudi Aramco’s Abqaiq plant but were killed by security forces before they were able to severely damage the facility.

Saudi Arabia is the largest oil exporter in the world and the biggest OPEC producer.

Last month the country pumped a record breaking 10 million barrels per day, up from 9.72 million bpd in February.