The U.S. Supreme Court refused on Tuesday to hear appeals filed by BP and Anadarko Petroleum that could have eliminated penalties tied to the 2010 Deepwater Horizon spill.
The rejection leaves a 2014 decision by the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in place that found the companies were responsible for civil penalties under the Clean Water Act, Reuters said
BP is currently facing up to $13.7 billion in Clean Water Act tied to the accident while Houston-based Anadarko could see penalties of nearly $1 billion.
BP had been facing fines of up to $18 billion before federal judge Carl Barbier ruled that the U.S. government had overestimated the size of the spill.
In his ruling, Barbier said BP’s response to the spill was not grossly negligent.
However, Barbier stood by his earlier ruling that the company demonstrated gross negligence leading up to the Macando well blowout that caused the spill and killed 11 people.
Texas-based Halliburton and Switzerland-based Transocean, the owner of the Deepwater Horizon rig, were found negligent but not reckless.
The judge divided fault for the spill at 67 percent for BP, 30 percent for Transocean and 3 percent for Halliburton.
The Deepwater trial is currently in the penalty phase but no final penalty amount has been announced yet.
Last month, Transocean reached a preliminary agreement to settle all claims related to the Deepwater accident for about $211 million.
Earlier this year, BP CEO Bob Dudley told the court that his company ‘s U.S. unit would be out of avalible cash for the year if it is ordered to pay more than than $2.3 billion in penaites, the Houston Chronicle said