UK-based driller Ensco said Tuesday that a regular compliance review of its Brazilian operations found no evidence of wrongdoing tied to the widening corruption scandal at Brazil’s Petrobras.
The statement was prompted by allegations made by Brazilian prosecutor Carlos Fernando dos Santos Lima last week that the former director of Petrobras’ international division, Jorge Zelada, may have received bribes on a rig operated by Pride International, Reuters said.
Ensco acquired Pride International in 2011.
Ensco added that it has shared information from the compliance review to assist Petrobras with internal audits.
State owned Petrobras has been the focus of a sprawling corruption scandal that has landed several former executives in jail and prompted the resignation of former CEO Maria das Graças Silva Foster.
Several construction, engineering and rig firms have also been ensnared in the probe.
Petrobras filed five joint lawsuits in May against engineering and construction firms to recover about $424 million tied to a two-year long corruption scheme involving Petrobras contracts.
Norway-based Sevan Marine hired a law firm in June to investigate alleged ties to a years long corruption scheme at Brazil’s Petrobras in response to reports in the Brazilian press.
Brazilian prosecutors have also filed five federal lawsuits against six construction companies for $1.55 billion in damages tied to alleged corruption.
Petrobras took a $1.5 billion write down in its 2014 results tied to the ongoing corruption probe, known as Operation Car Wash.
According to the Financial Times, Brazilian prosecutors said last week that the company may have to take a larger write down tied to corruption.
“We have no doubt that the losses are significantly larger than the R$6bn that was announced,” Brazilian prosecutor Carlos Fernando dos Santos Lima told the paper.