SHARE
Turkish Energy Minister Taner Yildiz. Image courtesy of World Economic Forum/Wikimedia Commons.

An attack on a major natural gas pipeline Monday night has shut down natural gas flows from Iran to Turkey.

According to Reuters, repairs are already underway but Turkish authorities are not sure when the pipeline will resume normal operations.

Turkish Energy Minister Taner Yildiz said the 10 billion cubic meter per year pipeline was shutdown after an explosion caused a fire.

“An explosion occurred as a result of sabotage about 15 kilometers inside the Turkish border on the Turkey-Iran gas pipeline,” Yildiz said in a statement.

The fire was quickly extinguished, the minister added.

No spills or injuries were reported.

No group has taken responsibility for the attack yet, but the blast resembles similar attacks by the Kurdistan Workers Party, Reuters said.

Turkey launched air attacks against camps belonging to the Kurdistan Worker Party in northern Iraq last week.

The pipeline was a frequent target of Kurdish militant attacks throughout the 1990s until a ceasefire agreement in 2013, Reuters added.

Botas, Turkey’s state owned pipeline company, said the country has not requested additional gas supplies from other countries and added that the explosion will not cause domestic shortages.

“All precautions have been taken to make sure the natural gas demand is met,” Yildiz said.