SHARE
Image courtesy of Apache.

Apache Corporation said Monday it has confirmed a large discovery at its Seagull prospect along with making significant discoveries at two exploration wells in the Beryl area of the U.K. North Sea.

The Houston-based company drilled an appraisal well at the Seagull discovery about 50 miles south of the Forties complex in Block 22/29c and confirmed 672 feet of net oil pay over a 1,092-foot column in Triassic-age sands.

The well, located in the U.K. North Sea, was flow tested with a facility-constrained rate of 8,700 barrels per day and 16 million cubic feet per day “with a very low pressure drawdown.”

“Further appraisal work will continue following the recent acquisition of a multi-azimuth 3-D survey,” Apache said.

Apache will assume operatorship of the license from Talisman Sinopec Energy UK Limited later this year, subject to necessary approvals.

Apache currently holds a 35 percent working interest in the license.

Talisman Sinopec Energy UK Limited holds a 50 percent working interest and JAPEX UK E&P Ltd. holds a 15 percent working interest.

Apache also completed work at four other discovery wells in the U.K. North Sea.

The company tested its first Tertiary-aged injectite prospect at the 9/18a-39A Corona exploration well in the Corona Discovery, located in the Beryl area.

The well was drilled to a true total vertical depth subsea of 6,411 feet and logged 225 feet total vertical depth net pay in “excellent reservoir-quality sandstone.”

Apache has a 100 percent working interest in the Corona Discovery.

The company’s Beryl ACN development well encountered 131 feet total vertical depth net pay in the Nansen formation and 40 feet total vertical depth net pay in the Eiriksson formations.

The well, drilled from the Beryl Alpha platform, was successfully completed in the Nansen formation and came online October 8 at a test rate of 11,194 barrels of oil per day and 30.4 million cubic feet of natural gas per day.

Apache holds a 60.55 percent working interest in the well, and Shell holds the remaining 39.45 percent.

The company scored another discovery in the Beryl area with its Nevis Central L4S development well.

The L4S pilot well was drilled to a true total vertical depth subsea of 9,298 feet and logged 114 feet total vertical depth net pay in the Triassic Lewis formation.

The pilot was followed by a high-angle producer that yielded a 30-day initial production rate of 45 million cubic feet per day and 2,166 bpd.

Apache said the well has been producing since early July 2015.

Apache has a 60.55 percent working interest in the well, and Shell holds the remaining 39.45 percent working interest.

The company said it has also successfully drilled two sidetracks into adjacent fault blocks in the Beryl area at the K Discovery.

In total, the K Discovery includes more than 1,500 feet of high-quality, oil-bearing sands within the Beryl, Linnhe, Nansen and Cormorant formations, across three distinct fault blocks.

Apache is the operator of the discovery with a 55 percent working interest, with Shell holding the remaining 45 percent.

“These discoveries further reinforce our confidence that our North Sea business has the ability to sustain production volumes, extend the Forties and Beryl productive lives out beyond 2030 and consistently provide significant free cash flow back to the corporation,” Apache’s chief executive officer and president John J. Christmann, IV said.