SHARE
Image courtesy of Petrobras.

Petrobras said Friday it has managed to reduce the impact of an open-ended strike by implementing a contingency plan even as workers occupy some of its facilities.

In line with expectations, the loss of production on November 4 was 134,000 barrels of oil, a 25 percent recovery over the previous day.

The estimated loss for Thursday is 127,000 barrels.

Union members told Reuters the company has been underestimating the strike’s impact.

State-owned Petrobras said Friday that there have been isolated cases of striking workers occupying facilities and taking control of production, “without permission for contingency teams to operate.”

The company did not disclose the facilities that have been occupied or how much production has been affected by the occupations.

Petrobras reported that its production on Monday dropped by 273,000 barrels of oil, or 13 percent of the company’s daily production in Brazil.

In addition, 7.3 million cubic meters of natural gas supply was stopped, equivalent to 14 percent of the gas offered daily to the Brazilian market.

The company’s estimated oil production in Brazil fell 8.5 percent by the end of Tuesday and 13 percent of its daily gas production was not being supplied to the market compared to levels prior to the strike.

FUP’s general coordinator José Maria Rangel said in an online video published earlier this week that the strike stopped the extraction of about 450,000 barrels of oil from the Campos Basin play within its first 24 hours, Reuters said.

“The company is taking all the appropriate legal measures to protect its rights and will continue to do everything needed to ensure the maintenance of its operations, the preservation of its installations and the safety of its workers,” Petrobras said.

FUP, Brazil’s largest oil workers union, joined a strike on Sunday that had been called by several smaller unions to protest cost-cutting measures at Petrobras that includes selling up to to $15.1 billion worth of assets.

The unions want the company’s asset sale plans canceled and has called for Petrobras to resume work on refineries, to maintain local content rules and to guarantee that it remains the only operator in Brazil’s offshore pre-salt play.