The European Commission has halted its review of the pending $35 billion merger between Halliburton and Baker Hughes.
According to Retuers, the commission decided last Thursday to pause its review as it asks for more information on the proposed combination.
“This is a standard procedure on merger investigations which is activated if the notifying parties do not provide an important piece of information that the Commission has requested from them,” European Commission spokesman Ricardo Cardoso told Reuters.
The commission will set a new deadline for its decision after it receives the requested information.
The agency was supposed to issue its decision by June 23, Reuters added.
Halliburton re-filed its request seeking EU approval for the merger in late November after the commission rejected its application in July due to insufficient data.
The deal is also facing regulatory hurdles in the United States.
The deal’s timing agreement with the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice expired in December without a settlement and without the agency filing litigation to block the deal.
The DOJ has informed the companies that it ‘s not satisfied that their current plans for proposed divestments address the agency’s anti-trust concerns.
The agency will continue to assess further proposals but has not commented on the matter.
The merger was initially expected to close in the second half of 2015.
When the deal was announced last year, Halliburton said it was prepared to divest from businesses that generate annual combined revenues of $7.5 billion, although it had expected regulators to require “significantly less” divestment.
Halliburton CEO and chairman Dave Lesar said in January that his company is continuing to talk with competition authorities and has “offered an enhanced set of divestitures in an effort to resolve competition-related concerns as soon as possible.”
Details about the new set of proposed divestitures have not been disclosed yet.