SHARE

Statoil employees have left an Algerian gas facility that was attacked by an Al Qaeda affiliate earlier this month.

According to Energy Voice, Statoil employees working at the In Salah Gas joint venture have left Algeria.

Statoil has not commented on the matter.

The move follows a rocket attack that was launched by Al Qaeda’s North Africa branch on the morning of March 18.

Norway’s Statoil said preliminary information indicated that three strikes were carried out using a vehicle and a “mobile weapon firing explosives.”

There were about 600 employees at the plant at the time of the attack, with three of those workers being employed by Statoil.

No one was injured during the attack.

The perpetrators left the area before they could be apprehended.

BP, a stake holder in the joint ventures, told Reuters after the attack that it will undertake a “phased temporary relocation” of all its staff from the In Salah Gas and In Amenas joint venture sites.

Statoil told Reuters that it would withdraw its staff from the Hassi Messaoud operations center “over the next few weeks.”

The In Amenas gas facility was the site of a deadly four day long siege launched by an Al Qaeda affiliate group in January 2013 that killed 40 people.

The In Salah Gas and In Amenas joint ventures are operated by Algeria’s Sonatrach.