SHARE

A series of strikes were suspended on Friday after service worker unions agreed to resume talks with Wood Group amid a pay dispute.

Unions representing several hundred UK North Sea service workers agreed to restart talks with Wood Group.

Unite the union, RMT and Wood Group said in a joint statement that all parties have agreed to hold a “number of full-day meetings over the next few weeks” to discuss the issues.

The talks are scheduled to begin next week.

“We believe that this collaborative approach to addressing the challenging and well-publicized situation in the oil and gas sector is the best way for us to resolve this current dispute and contribute to creating a sustainable model for the North Sea,” the groups said.

Shell told the BBC that it welcomes the development and encourages “Wood Group’s employees and management to continue their discussions in an effort to reach agreement.”

RMT and Unite the union said earlier this week that they were planning a series of over a dozen work stoppages scheduled to start next week and last until early September.

The work stoppages were expected to impact Shell’s Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Nelson, Gannet, Shearwater and Curlew platforms in the UK North Sea.

The unions conducted a 48-hour strike last week to protest pay cuts proposed by Wood Group.

Union members claim Wood Group is seeking to trim pay by 30 percent once cuts to allowances are factored in.

Wood Group has denied that it has proposed a 30 percent pay cut.

The work stoppages began on July 26 and marked the first time in nearly 30 years that UK North Sea service workers have downed their tools.