Image courtesy of Eni/Flickr.

Norway regulators have ordered Eni to investigate the second power outage this year at the Goliat FPSO in offshore Norway.

Norway’s Petroleum and Safety Authority (PSA) confirmed Wednesday that it has ordered an investigation into the incident.

Eni must submit the provisional results of its investigation and recommended measures from the investigation to the PSA by September 5.

The order is legally binding.

Production at Goliat remained offline as of Monday, Reuters said.

Italy’s Eni told the news wire that production will remain offline until its investigation into the power disruption is complete.

A power outage at the platform on August 26 forced Eni to halt production and evacuate all non-essential staff.

Eni told Reuters last week that the Goliat FPSO lost all power from shore, prompting the company to temporarily halt production.

The company told Retuers that the evacuation was stopped when power was restored and the “situation normalized.”

A similar power supply issue forced Eni to temporarily halt production at Goliat in May.

Eni started production at the Goliat field in March, making the field the first Barents Sea oil field to start production.

The Goliat field is located about 53 miles northwest of Hammerfest in Production License 229 in a ice-free area of the Barents Sea off the coast of Norway.

Goliat’s output is expected to reach 100,000 barrels of oil per day, with 65,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day net to Eni.

The startup of the Goliat project boosted Norway’s oil output to a five-year high in July.

The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate said Goliat was Norway’s fourth largest oil producer in July.

Eni holds a 65 percent operating stake in Goliat while Norway’s Statoil holds the remaining 35 percent stake.


Leave a Reply