SHARE

The Department of the Army (DOA) said on Tuesday that it will authorize construction of the final stretch of the Dakota Access Pipeline.

The DOA said in a statement that it has completed a presidential-directed review for an easement request for the Dakota Access Pipeline that was ordered late last month.

The DOA said it has notified Congress that it “intends to grant an easement for a right-of-way across government land at Lake Oahe Dam and Reservoir, North Dakota.”

Acting Secretary of the Army Robert Speer said the decision was made “based on a sufficient amount of information already available which supported approval to grant the easement request and as a result, made the choice to terminate the notice of intent to prepare an Environmental Impact Statement.”

The action will allow Energy Transfer, the pipeline’s operator, to complete the last mile and half of the 470,000 barrel per day pipeline.

Energy Transfer was acquired by Sunoco Logistics Partners late last year.

Neither company has commented on the decision or disclosed when the pipeline is expected to be online.

The 1,172 mile pipeline will connect the Bakken and Three Forks oil production areas in North Dakota to an existing crude oil terminal near Pakota, Illinois.

The current proposed pipeline route would cross Lake Oahe, an Army Corps of Engineers project on the Missouri River.

“Today’s announcement will allow for the final step, which is granting of the easement,” Speer added.

The decision follows an executive order issued by President Donald Trump last month that called for the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to expedite a review to construct and operate the pipeline.

The Corps paused work on the remaining stretch of the DAPL last year following a lawsuit filed by the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe.

The lawsuit alleged the Corps violated historic preservation and environmental laws when it approved the project.

The Corps continued to delay construction despite a federal court ruling issued in September that found construction work could move forward.