TransCanada said on Thursday that it has filed a route application for a stretch of the Keystone XL.
The Calgary-based company has filed an application with the Nebraska Public Service Commission (PSC) seeking approval for the Keystone XL pipeline route through the state.
The proposed route was evaluated by the Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality and was approved by the Governor of Nebraska in 2013.
TransCanada said its preferred route avoids the area defined as the Nebraska Sandhills and is expected to have “minimal environmental impacts” in Nebraska.
The company added that over 90 percent of the landowners along the pipeline corridor have signed voluntary easements to construct Keystone XL.
The PSC process is expected to conclude in 2017.
“The thousands of Nebraskans we have met over the last eight years understand the value of this project and what it means to the state. As we have said consistently, safety and a respect for the environment remain our key priorities. We are listening and acting on what we have learned,” TransCanada’s president and CEO Russ Girling said.
Last month, TransCanada submitted an application seeking federal approval for the Keystone XL following an executive order issued by President Donald Trump.
Trump signed an executive order in January inviting TransCanada to resubmit its application for the $8 billion pipeline, just over a year after the project was rejected.
TransCanada had asked the U.S. State Department to pause its review of the pipeline in November 2015 citing legal challenges mounted by landowners in Nebraska.
Former President Barack Obama ultimately rejected the project in late 2015 following a seven-year long review process.
A lawsuit filed by TransCanda in response to that rejection was put on hold last month to allow the company time to secure a new permit.
Judge Kenneth Hoyt of the Southern District of Texas said in January that a lawsuit TransCanada had filed against the U.S. government will be on hold until the end of March.
The State Department is expected to issue a decision on the newly request permit on or near March 27, according to court documents.