TransCanada said Thursday that it has submitted a new application for its Keystone XL pipeline.
The Calgary-based company said it has submitted a Presidential Permit application to the U.S. Department of State for approval of the Keystone XL Pipeline.
Further details about the application have not been disclosed yet.
“This privately funded infrastructure project will help meet America’s growing energy needs as well as create tens of thousands of well-paying jobs and generate substantial economic benefit throughout the U.S. and Canada,” TransCanada president and chief executive officer Russ Girling said.
The announcement follows an executive order signed by President Donald Trump earlier this week inviting TransCanada to resubmit its application for the Keystone XL pipeline.
Trump’s Keystone XL order also calls for the Department of the Army, Department of the Interior and Department of the State to undertake all necessary reviews in an “expedited manner.”
The Obama administration officially rejected the Keystone XL project in November 2015 after the U.S. State Department determined the pipeline would not “serve the national interest.”
TransCanada said that enhanced standards and the utilization of the “most advanced technology will help ensure KXL will be built and operated to uphold our fundamental commitment to safety and the communities we serve.”
The company added that independent forecasts by the U.S. Department of State estimate that KXL will support tens of thousands of direct and indirect jobs with associated income during construction and contributing about $3.4 Billion to the U.S. GDP.
“Numerous studies have shown that pipelines are a safer and more environmentally sound way to transport oil to market than trains and KXL raises the bar on both fronts,” Girling added.
The Keystone XL’s proposed route would stretch 1,179-mile from Hardisty, Alberta to Steele City, Nebraska located just north of the Cushing oil hub.